Sunday, November 29, 2009

Traveling internationally with a cat? Cabin or cargo?

I'm traveling from Morocco to the U.S. with a cat next week and I'm incredibly nervous - I've taken care of all the requirements, so that isn't an issue, but I'm really concerned about the flight.





First, we have a layover in Europe - so is it safe to put the cat in cargo? She's small enough (as is her carrier) for the cabin but we weren't able to reserve ahead (long story) for her place - also, she's calm but meows A LOT and I'm worried about taking her in the cabin because of that.





Lastly, should I give her a tranq or not? It's expensive through our vet, so I don't want to buy it unless it's a necessity.





Can anyone ease my fears about cat travel?Traveling internationally with a cat? Cabin or cargo?
When I moved from England to Cyprus, I brought my 17 year old cat with me and air-line regulations stated that she travelled in the hold, which is a separate, heated area away from where the luggage is stored. The carrier will have to be airline approved, and should be large enough that she can lay down in comfort. Furrari make good ones with plastic food %26amp; water dishes which clip to the bars of the door. My cat was fine after a 5 hour flight, and quickly settled into our new home with no problems whatsoever.





When I later moved to France for 8 months, she was allowed to travel in the cabin, but I paid extra so that she could have her own seat. She was quiet during the flight and actually went to sleep for a while. I guess as far as she was concerned, it was no different than us being at home together on the sofa. I know that not all airlines will allow you to buy a seat for your pet, and many of them insist that the pet is stored beneath the seat during the flight. Check with the airline exactly what size carrier will fit under the seat, as you don't want your cat to feel cramped.





I would take into consideration, the size of your cat and the length of your flights. I would make her comfort during the flight my priority.





My vet in the UK recommended against the use of any kind of sedative whatsoever. He explained to me that it can make the cat feel disorientated and that if there is any air turbulence during the flight, that my cat wouldn't be able to steady herself in her box. (Some cats have been injured during flights because of this).





If you do decide to transport her in the hold, line the box with several inches of shredded paper and an old towel, so that if she does get caught short, the paper will absorb any urine. If the box is large enough, she'll be able to move away from the damp patch. Also put a sticker on the box with her name, your flight details and a note asking someone to offer her water during the stop over.





Whatever option you choose, hope all goes well for you.Traveling internationally with a cat? Cabin or cargo?
keep her with u no cargo u will b away from her to long not knowing how she is being treated by others, i would put her to sleep for the flight and keep her with me
I have flown with my cat on a flight from the US to Amsterdam. It wasn't a big deal, although I was able to reserve her place on the flight beforehand. I think she was glad to stay with me. I wasn't too concerned about any noise she would make since other people bring really noisy children on flights all the time. They don't feel badly since those are their babies and since my cat is my baby i didn't feel badly either :) Most people thought she was cute anyway. I also took her out and held her on my lap for awhile which I'm sure I wasn't supposed to do but nobody got mad at me.





I would worry about the cat going to the bathroom in cargo. Would she have a place to use the cat box? That's a long flight for the cat either to hold it or sit in her/his own waste. When I flew with my cat, I brought along one of those tiny litter box things and she and I made 2 trips to the bathroom (one in flight and one during a transfer in London).





I didn't drug my kitty because I was worried about the health implications. I did bring along some of her favorite treats (bits of shrimp and crab) and fed them to her throughout the flight. That did an ok job of calming her down but my cat loves food more than most...





Good luck!
Maybe the cat can go another route that is safer. I cannot imagine putting a cat in a cargo department where it is cold and air is scarce. The poor thing will be scared to death. I know I wouldnt want to be in the cargo department for such a trip. Think the situation over. I hope you change your mind. And if you do it, the cost of the tranquilizer should be your last thought.
i would suggest the tranq they usually stay asleep long enough for you to pick them up at baggage claim. other reason is so you dont have to worry about poop,pee, vomit or food and water
Things change very fast in the airline industry. Perhaps the link I have provided can give you the most up to date information.





Tranqs are usually contraindicated. You want your cat alert to handle anything that happens, such as being bounced around.
I would not put the cat in cargo. You're at the mercy of the airport personal if you do that and not all of them care if your pet lives or dies.
No one has yet asked you why you would want to take a cat internationally, so I will. Is this for an extended trip (month or more) or a permanent move? Otherwise your kitty may appreciate staying at home more-Can you hire someone to cat sit? I know my cat would not be a good candidate for flight as she meows very loudly and loves staying at home, guarding her territory. Just ask my two brothers who drove our cat when we moved from Atlanta to our current home in the midwest--they nearly went out of their minds with her meowing! I know if I were to board a plane and had to listen to a cat's incessant meows, even though I adore cats, I would be more than a little irritated. And since it seems that cats do not react well with tranquilizers in the air, I am wondering if you can't make other arrangements for your kitty while you are away? But if necessary, put her in the cargo hold in a nice area meant for animals with a good crate and hope for the best!
I traveled with several cats to the Dominican Republic. We were allowed one cat in the cabin, so one was with us and the others were in cargo.





Don't give them tranq. because it often has an opposite effect and makes them freak out.





When cats are scared they curl up and ignore everything.





If the temperature is ok, not too hot or too cold, they will do OK in cargo probably. Sometimes cats get lost just like other baggage.





For your own peace of mind, probably best to keep her with you on board. Maybe there will be an opening for a cat on board. You can ask the airline to notify you if there is a cancellation.





Airlines have a limit of the total pets allowed, and your flight may have reached that limit.





If you are really worried, ask if you can change your reservation to a date when there is room for your cat in the cabin.





The odds are that your cat will be OK in cargo. Many animals travel that way. There are rules about temperature and availability of water for the animal.

















--
I traveled to Morocco from U.S. with my cat. I took her in cabin. But my cat is not one that makes a lot of noise when traveling. She didn't make a peep the whole way.





I think if you bring her in cabin it is best but if she makes a lot of noise you may have a problem with the crew and other passengers. I'd ask the airline you are traveling with what they do in that circumstance. If you decide to let her in cargo I'd verify over and over again that it they have an area for pets, not all planes do.





As far as the tranquilizer. It is NOT a good idea to give a cat one while flying. It can actually have a negative effect on their breathing which can result in death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credot siosse